Escorted Portugal River Cruise | Enticing Douro, Oct 12, 2024
Join Sheri Clarke, your cruise escort, and discover the rambling vineyards and charming native farms clinging to the steep sides of the Douro River Valley. This is one of Europe’s most unspoiled regions and contains the unique Port region— the world’s oldest demarcated wine region. Sail roundtrip from Porto, the beautiful “City of Bridges”; visit Régua, the ‘capital’ of the Douro Valley; and marvel at Salamanca, the UNESCO-designated “Golden City across the border in Spain.” Taste wines from historic wineries and soak up the genuine beauty of one of Europe’s most unadulterated landscapes.
The Enticing Douro
Escorted by Sheri Clarke · Oct 12, 2024 · 7-Nights
Porto to Porto on the Douro River
Contact Sheri or your travel professional at PT Travel
for up-to-date pricing
Board the AmaDouro for your river cruise.
Entre-os-Rios translates to “between the rivers” which is where you will find this little village sandwiched between the Douro and the Tamega rivers. Indulge in a traditional Portuguese lunch at a local quinta (country estate).
Visit the Palais de Mateus a baroque-style mansion, and its gardens, often regarded as being the most beautiful of its kind in Portugal. In the afternoon sample vinho do porto, Portugal’s fortified wine for which the Douro valley is famous at a local quinta.
Board a motor coach for a drive to Salamanca, Spain, to visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will tour this well-preserved ancient city to see its medieval origins. On this tour you will visit the New Cathedral, House of Shells, the university grounds and buildings, and the Plaza Mayor.
Cruise to Barca d”Alva where you will visit Castle Rodrigo which is actually a village high in the hills over the river affording you magnificent views. Explore it narrow alleyways and admire the old buildings there. (You may hike to the village as an option.) Taste locally-grown produce during an exclusive dinner at Quinta da Avessada. Enjoy sampling the wines of the region.
Today you will travel to Lamego where you will visit one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the country: Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies. At this shrine you will see a magnificent stairway of 700 steps decorated with traditional white and blue tiles. For the more active, join an optional guided tour up these steps. Afterwards, sample local traditional dishes such as bôlas de Lamego, and presunto, washed down with Espumante, a sparkling Portuguese wine.
Discover Porto on an escorted tour of the old town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, including the Cathedral. Marvel at the São Bento Railway Station where history is on display through the stations blue and white tiles. And a visit to Porto would not be complete without tasting its port wine. There is also an optional hike for the more ambitious. The afternoon you are free to explore the city on your own.
Disembark your ship and prepare for your return flight home.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet & Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck whirlpool and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services, and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain’s Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
AmaDouro debuted in 2019, so more guests can enjoy this popular itinerary. Like AmaWaterway’s other ships, the AmaDouro features spacious, elegantly appointed staterooms, most of which include balconies to take in views of the breathtaking hills and terraced vineyards along the river. Staterooms also include Entertainment-On-Demand, featuring free high-speed Internet access, unlimited Wi-Fi, movies, music and English-language TV stations; climate-controlled air conditioning; and an in-room safe. The AmaDouro’s Panoramic Lounge is a stylish and inviting space to enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail along with our nightly entertainment. The ship also features a massage room, fitness room, sun-deck swimming pool and a gift shop, as well as the culinary delights of the Main Restaurant, where you’ll be able to sample the region’s famous Port wine.
Length & Width: 237 ft. X 17 ft.
Home of Mateus Wines
Do you love wine. history, and gorgeous views? Come, relax in the comfort of travelling with your knowledgeable and personable host, Sheri Clarke as she escorts this fabulous river cruise on a Portuguese historic river – the Douro. Relax in the welcoming atmosphere of an AmaWaterways™ river ship.
Book your Douro river cruise today !
Call 888-233-4640 0r Sheri at 615-800-7239
OFFER ID: AMA1024
General Terms: *Please consult with our agency regarding up-to-date pricing for this cruise. Ask about current applicable promotions. “Escorted” is valid on this sailing only. Unless explicitly stated that single supplement is waived, solo travelers in a double occupancy stateroom must pay an additional single supplement amount before receiving any discounts. Ask about Solo Traveler promotions. Offer is limited to availability, capacity controlled, and is subject to change or termination without notice. Land programs, travel insurance, and round-trip airfare are not included in your cruise fare but may be purchased separately through our agency. Itinerary subject to change. Other restrictions apply.
Please contact your travel professional at this agency for more details.
This agency reserves the right to correct any errors, omissions or inaccuracies in this publication at any time without notice.