Visiting Vietnam and Cambodia may be a vacation not many travellers would wish to take on their own, dealing with unfamiliar languages and customs alien to their experience, and half a world away from home. Enter AMAWaterways with a seven day river cruise that explores these exotic countries and the Mekong in particular. What a delightful way to see the vibrant colors of everyday life while experiencing the culture and customs of friendly people, secure in the knowledge that you are being guided by trained and trusted local experts, that your personal health and safety are being taken care of by the cruise line, and your every accommodation, meals, and entertainment are on tap so to speak – and all included in your fare.
On board the river boat, you experience:
• Spacious staterooms with high quality fittings and linens, and air conditioned comfort
• Five star service with expert staff
• Your choice of gourmet cuisine, either Western or local dishes
• Complimentary beer, wine and spirits during your cruise
• Local authentic musicians and entertainers
• Most of the services found on a bigger ship including spa, gym, sun deck with pool and bar, lounge and gift shop, and
• Something you won’t find on an ocean cruise : constantly changing and fabulous views
On shore, you enjoy:
• Visits to local craft workshops, such as weavers of mats, weavers of silk, and makers of rice paper ( you might even give it a try!), silver articles and candy
• Rides by traditional methods such as trishaws and ox carts
• Shopping in local markets for exotic delicacies and crafts while enjoying the rich colors and friendly bustle of locals and tradesmen
• Buddhist monasteries with colourfully clad monks, and ancient temples
• Authentic villages, and all the while
• Surrounded by the hustle and bustle of river life where fishermen cast nets using age old traditions, and sellers peddle their wares from tiny paddle boats.
And then imagine a night on a luxury junk in Halong Bay …or watching a water puppet show … or visiting the old quarter of Hanoi. When you travel this far, it may make sense to continue your adventures with an optional week : 2 nights in Hanoi, 3 in Siem Reap and 2 in Ho Chi Minh City at premier hotels all under the auspices of AMAWaterways where you will experience the local treats mentioned and more to fill your every day with excitement and wonder at the marvels of Vietnam, Cambodia and the riches of the Mekong.
Article by D MacIntyre of Compass Media, an avid cruiser and fan of AMAWaterways.
Photos courtesy of pixabay.com and bigstock.com
Leave A Comment